A Tale of Two Schools
St Mary MacKillop College was born out of the unification of St Joseph’s School and MacKillop Catholic College in Busselton, Western Australia.
St Joseph’s School was established in 1922 when the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart took over a small convent school formed in 1903 in the Vasse region by the order of the sisters of Our Lady of the Missions. The first dedicated primary school buildings were officially opened in Busselton in 1954 and the school continued to grow steadily in the parish, moving to its current location in 1987.
In 1994, with strong support from the parish and community, MacKillop Catholic College was built on adjoining land as the first Catholic secondary school in the region, attracting families from Busselton, Vasse, Dunsborough, Margaret River, Cowaramup, Capel, Yallingup, Nannup and Augusta.
Both schools grew and flourished side by side for two decades sharing a common charism — following the example of Australia’s first saint, Mary MacKillop, who had founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart.
In 2014, under the direction of the Catholic Education Commission of WA and the Bishop of Bunbury, St Joseph’s School and MacKillop Catholic College began the process of amalgamation to create an outstanding co-educational K-12 Catholic College.
St Mary MacKillop College opened in 2016, with over 1,200 students from Kindergarten to Year 12.