Cobie Donates Her Hair with Heart

Cobie Donates Her Hair with Heart

“Hello, my name is Cobie and I am 6 years old. I have very long and thick hair and with the help of my mummy who is a nurse, I have decided to cut my hair and donate it to be made into a wig to help a little girl who is sick to feel better.”

Year 1 student Cobie Yates was all smiles on Friday 10 May as she prepared to have her long hair cut off in front of all her classmates and family. “Nervous?” No – Cobie was excited. Not only would she be donating her hair to Variety’s Hair with Heart project, which makes wigs for sick children, but the six year old had also managed to smash her $2000 fundraising goal, raising more than $2,600 for Variety’s many other programs to help Aussie kids who are sick, disadvantaged or have special needs.

Variety grants wigs to kids that have lost their hair due to a medical condition, giving them more confidence and improving their self-esteem – so they can feel themselves again. Cobie was inspired to help children with cancer after losing her grandfather to the disease two years ago, and was happy to donate a section of her 78cm long locks for a wig.