Students return from a Winter in Italy

Students return from a Winter in Italy

During the summer holidays, four of our Year 12 students took part in a reciprocal cultural exchange in Italy. They spent eight weeks with host families in Italy, attending Italian schools and immersing themselves in the local culture.

The students all travelled to very different regions of Italy: from the magic of Venice and snowy Lake Como in the north, to the iconic city of Rome and its regional towns. But a common experience was the warm and welcoming people they met who became part of their lives and were a highlight of their trip.

Year 11 Italian students will have the opportunity to host exchange students from Italy in July and August this year, before enjoying their own Exchange experience in December.

“Looking back on my experience it was not only seeing some of the famous landmarks that left an impact on me, but the number of incredible people I had the opportunity to meet and make friends with throughout the two months I was there. It's amazing to know that I now have friends and family on the other side of the world who had welcomed me lovingly into their lives.

“I am so grateful for the new skills and understanding that I have gained along with my confidence in speaking the Italian language. To all the students learning Italian, I would strongly encourage you to take part in an exchange, not only for the language benefits but also for the personal growth that can come from it.” - Andi Nicholson

“Going on the exchange program to Italy was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I experienced so much of the culture and language. Aside from being a steep learning curve, it was also really fun and I would definitely do it all over again. I learned a lot, not only about the language, but also about the history, the society and the culture.

“A highlight of the exchange would be all the people I met and established friendships with over there. I would definitely recommend the program to everyone who is considering it, as you will definitely improve your Italian and also gain some life experience.” - Felix Kastelan

“The two months I spent in Italy were definitely life-changing. I got the chance to live the culture of another person, and the highlight of my trip was feeling like I was part of the family that hosted me. It was really special to bond with people I’d only just met, and now I have a place to call home on the other side of the world!

“I went to Como, right in the North of Italy, where I was able to see snow during Christmas time. Building a snowman and going ice skating were amazing new experiences for me that I will never forget.

“I feel as though I have grown as a person, as I had to be much more independent over there, and figure things out on my own. Italy is a beautiful country - however I am glad to be back in Australia, going to the beach and eating vegemite toast for brekkie! - Lily Trovato

“Going on exchange in Italy was one of those experiences that forces you to get out of your comfort zone. This is such a unique experience because you get a vivid understanding of a completely different culture, making friends and getting to know people on the other side of the world.

“I left exchange thinking about how valuable this experience was for my development as a person, and how much I could learn from my cute little Italian family!” - Dante Gherardi